Request Request an Appointment Call Call Us Forms Forms Map View Map Google Google Facebook Facebook

4 Reasons Why You Should Be Flossing Every Day

May 18, 2021

Filed under: Uncategorized — superdental @ 5:09 pm
Smiling woman looking in mirror while flossing

It’s no secret that flossing isn’t a popular pastime. Many people find this healthy habit somewhat awkward or difficult, which is likely why only a third of American adults self-report that they floss every day. While it may be tempting to skip this part of your daily dental routine, the American Dental Association and dentists around the world report that we should be flossing daily. But why? As it turns out, flossing may be much more important for your oral health than you realize! Here are four important reasons why you should be flossing daily.

1.) Prevent Hidden Cavities

Did you know that some studies report that brushing with a toothbrush only removes about 60% of cavity-causing plaque and bacteria from your mouth? The other 40% hide in places that your toothbrush bristles can’t reach, like between the teeth and just under the gums. As these particles accumulate, they can burn through your enamel to cause cavities in places that are both hard to see and hard to treat. Flossing is the only way to clean out these hidden spaces and keep your risk of tooth decay at a minimum.

2.) Treat Sensitive, Bleeding Gums

Do you avoid flossing because it makes your gums sore or bleed? While it may seem counterintuitive, flossing more often will make your gums feel more comfortable! Gums that are sore and bleed easily are usually the first warning signs of a bacterial infection called gum disease. Flossing regularly will clear out the bacteria and other debris, which will bring down inflammation and treat the early stages of this infection. You can easily regain healthy, non-inflamed gums by flossing daily!

3.) Floss the Teeth You Want to Keep

In the long-run, flossing can help you prevent tooth loss. Flossing is one of the best ways to stop bacteria build up near the gums and keep gum disease at bay. While the beginning stages of this infection can be treated and reversed, the more advanced stages can destroy your jawbone and the connective tissues that help hold your teeth in place. In fact, gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in the US! If you want to keep your teeth strong, healthy, and firmly in place for the rest of your life, it’s important that you floss daily!

4.) Better Heart Health Starts with Flossing

Gum disease doesn’t just impact your smile. Countless studies have discovered a connection between gum disease and an increased risk of heart disease. Researchers believe that the inflammation and dangerous bacteria associated with untreated gum disease can spread to other parts of your body to cause systemic health issues, including heart attack and strokes. Flossing is an easy and effective first step towards keeping both your smile and your heart healthy!

If you are finding flossing difficult, don’t hesitate to talk to your dentist. They’ll be happy to go over the best techniques for flossing and they may be able to recommend some flossing tools or aids that will help you, such as floss pics or a water flosser.

About the Practice

At Super Dental of Fitchburg, we are dedicated to stopping oral health issues before they have a chance to start. That’s why we highly encourage all our patients to come in every six months for a routine dental checkup and cleaning. Our talented team of doctors will make sure you get the gentle, personalized preventive care you need and will always take the time to help you make the most of your at-home oral hygiene. To learn more, we can be contacted online or at (978) 342-8500.

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.